At Croydon College, we put careers and employability at the heart of everything we do.
We know that parents and carers play an important role in helping our students to make the best, most informed and reliable decisions regarding their progression options and future choices after College.
So we have put together some information and resources to help you gather information to equip yourselves with the necessary knowledge to be able to support students with career decisions and the right progression choices.
So How Can You Help?
Help them research what they want to do and consider all the options
- Help them with their research into the right course and the right institution for them
- Encourage them to attend university open days and UCAS Fairs
- Encourage them to get input from the college on drafting their personal statement and help them edit and refine it
- Encourage them to attend college presentations on the application process
- Explore and understand the finance opportunities offered by Student Finance England (SFE)
- Know the application deadlines. The ‘on-time’ deadline is in January (earlier for Oxford and Cambridge) but many institutions will take applications later if they have course places still available. Find out about Extra Choices.
For Apprenticeships and direct employment
- Help them find the right apprenticeship or job vacancy for them. The Croydon College Apprenticeship Team will help with identifying apprenticeship opportunities
- Help them get a good CV together – looking at relevant extracurricular activities and work experience in particular
- Explore the possibility of online tests which are being used by more and more employers as an additional filtering tool
- Help them prepare for an interview (which could be in person, by telephone or by video). The Careers Team will be happy to arrange for mock interview practice.