Job Title : Assistant Accountant Apprentice
Employer : Glenthorne high school
Location : 270 Sutton Common Rd, Sutton SM3 9PS
Position type : AAT Level 3
- To Work as part of the Finance Team providing support to the Willow Learning Trust. This will be achieved within Academy Financial Procedures whilst ensuring internal and external deadlines and audit requirements are consistently met.
- Provide comprehensive financial and general administrative support to the Finance Team.
- Undertake a Level 3 Assistant Accountant Apprenticeship to develop the relevant skills and expertise such that the post holder can play an active role and contribute appropriately to the work of the team.
- Contribute to a solution based team approach.
Main duties and responsibilities
Within the limits of the programme of training, provide a specific specialist support service in the following areas of activity ensuring confidentiality is maintained at all times:
- Setting financially viable budgets for educational trips and similar services offered to students and adding such trips and services to the appropriate ledgers and ParentPay.
- Providing accounting information to internal departments to assist in their collection of sums due from such trips and other services.
- Preparing monthly reports for the Finance Manager and School on each trip highlighting any trips potentially incurring a deficit.
- Issuing sales invoices and processing to the appropriate Sales Ledger and Student Ledger accounts on a timely and accurate basis.
- Posting and allocating daily income receipts to the accounting systems and ParentPay;
- Monthly reconciliations of the sales control accounts including the reconciliation of the Student Debtors Ledger to ParentPay;
- Debt collection, maintaining contact with customers to ensure invoices are promptly paid and all queries are resolved promptly;
- Communicating with all overdue debtors both verbally and in writing on behalf of the Central Team and discussing with such customer’s potential discounts and repayment plans.
- Producing regular (at least monthly) debtor reports, highlighting any potential bad and doubtful debts.
Supporting other members of the Finance Team and the Director of Finance providing general administration duties and assisting with:
- Monitoring departmental budgets to ensure they are kept in line with budget.
- Processing and inputting to the accounting system- purchase orders and requisitions, goods received notes, purchase invoices and credit notes.
- The accounts payable process including sorting purchase invoices into appropriate payment dates and preparing resultant weekly BACS runs of appropriate authorised invoices for approval by the Director of Finance.
- Routine data checking of supplier information including BACS details, addresses, and account numbers.
- Reviewing the appropriate nominal and cost centre coding of purchase orders and/or invoices prior to processing.
- Assist with the maintenance of “Parent Pay” systems;
- Processing of staff expense claims (including casual and supply claim forms) checking that such claims are properly authorised prior to processing.
- Sourcing appropriate goods and suppliers.
- Processing purchase approved card purchases when required ensuring appropriate documentation is secured and completed for each transaction.
- Copying, filing, scanning, file attachment and processing of purchase ledger related documents.
- Sorting incoming mail.
- Assist in the production of accurate financial reports and records.
- Assist with the reconciliation of balance sheet accounts.
- Assist in the maintenance of financial systems.
- Assist in the preparation and production of accounts and reports.
- Assist in the internal analysis of financial activities.
- Assist in the work with internal and external audit as directed.
- Provide appropriate support when required for non-financial staff on basic financial procedures;
- Provide appropriate support when required in sourcing specific bulk purchases such as diaries/planners;
- To meet all learning commitments of the apprenticeship as directed by your line manager or the learning/training provider. Assigned qualifications and an end point assessment must be completed. This can include presentations, portfolios, units of assessment and exams.
- Preparing and contributing to Trust wide development by sharing best practice and professional feedback.
- To assist with the production and analysis of regular reports on activity for use at management meetings and feedback, as appropriate for the role.
|GCSE or L2 in Math and English|
|A level or equivalent, Maths or related subject|
|Experience Microsoft products including Word and Excel and associated products|
|Experience of working in a customer focused environment|
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:|
|Honesty and integrity|
|Good communication skills with all stakeholders|
|Able to organise own workload and prioritise|
|Excellent Attention to detail|
|Ability to work as part of a team|
|Adaptability and flexibility|
|Excellent timekeeping and attendance|
|Desire for a career in accountancy|
|Positive and enthusiastic approach to work|