Post Title: Assistant Cook
Employer : Step Academy Trust
Location : Beddington Park Academy, Mallison Road, Beddington, CR0 4UL
Apprenticeship Standard : Commis Chef apprenticeship Level 2
We are looking to appoint an Assistant Cook for one of our busy, vibrant Academy kitchens.
General kitchen duties to assist in the production and serving of meals in academy and maintaining a high
standard of kitchen hygiene.
Key Areas for Decision Making:
- Ordering, stock and portion control in association with management.
- The keeping of various stock records related to the duties of the post. Follow the catering rota in an effective manner.
- Deciding when and how to clean spillages and accidents in the safest and most appropriate way to
maintain the highest levels of hygiene
This will involve:
- The cooking of traditional and light meals.
- Service of food to children and academy staff.
- Washing dinner trays/cutlery either by hand or machine.
- Cleaning of equipment, surfaces and floors.
- Basic food preparation such as salads and sandwiches.
- Use of kitchen machinery, after appropriate training.
- Attending training sessions, possibly outside usual working day.
- Moving of furniture/food trolleys.
- Ordering stock.
- Promoting service in the academy & participating in special events.
- Deputising for manager.
The successful candidate must:
- Have a knowledge of food preparation
- Be to lead and motivate staff
- Demonstrate a willingness and enthusiasm for training and progression
- Have an ability to read and complete simple instructions, such as cleaning rota, work rota, temperature and
- Be able to communicate with all kitchen, staff and pupils
- Display and maintain a high standard of personal hygiene
- Able to encourage children to select a balanced meal
- Display a commitment to the Trust’s equalities policies
- Take charge of the kitchen and the catering staff in the absence of the cook