Mode of study:
This Uniformed Public Services course is a brilliant option for people who are seeking to further develop their skills and knowledge in preparation for a career within the emergency services, police, fire services, military, security work and the navy. This two year course is equivalent to 3 A Levels.
This course covers a range of topics that are relevant to the uniformed services such as crime and the impact on society, behaviour in the employment sector, sports and recreational activities and responding to incidents.
You will also benefit from external trips and camps where you develop your map and compass skills, team work skills and leadership skills which are all integral to the uniformed services.
We have excellent links with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and other services to enrich your experience of learning about the uniformed services.
Good English and Maths skills are essential for success in studying and for future employment prospects and so Croydon College ensures that these skills are developed in all learning opportunities.
It’s also important to have good English and Maths qualifications and so all students will study English and Maths and work towards an appropriate level and type of qualification including GCSE. This will be part of all 16-18 year old students’ Study Programme alongside their main vocational or academic qualification and will be discussed with students at interview.
During this course you will have the opportunity to get involved with a wide range of external activities including:
- Camps, trips, visits and scenario days
- Excellent links with the MoD and other services to give you relevant information and experience
- Guest speakers coming in to the College to pass on their experience and knowledge of uniformed services
- Interesting and relevant seminars
You will be taught by industry experienced teachers from a range of uniformed services based backgrounds who will pass on their knowledge to help give you an in depth understanding of what a career in the uniformed services is like.
You will study:
- Political science
- Forensic science
- Business management
- Public services management
- Command and control
- Responding to emergency
- Uniformed services rules regulations and discipline
- Land base activities: Rock climbing, shooting, Archery, camping, Hiking
- Fitness: regular beep testing, 1.5 mile run, push ups, situps, chin ups etc
- Health and lifestyle
Career Opportunities & Further Study
This course will support in applying for higher education or with progressing into a career across a range of uniformed and non-uniformed public services including:
- Uniformed public services: Armed forces (Army, Navy, Royal Air force), Police, UK Border agency, Fire services, Prison services, security, dog handling, Immigration
- Non Uniformed services: Home office, teaching assistant, council, criminal prosecution services, Transport, teaching, safe guarding officer, Human resources, Admin jobs, retail management, customer services, emergency services call centre, outdoor/indoor activity centres etc….
Students also have the opportunity to progress to Higher Education either at the college in our own University Centre, where we deliver affordable University of Sussex validated degrees, or you might choose to progress to other well respected Universities.
- HND in Public services
- BA (hons) Public services
- BA (hons) Policing
- BA/ BSc (hons) Forensic science
- BA (hons) Criminology
- BA (hons) Psychology
- BA (hons) Law
- BA (hons) sociology
- BA (hons) political science
- BA (hons) History
- BA (hons) business management
- BA (hons) Education
- BA (hons) Law
- BSc Paramedic science (University of Hertfordshire)
This course is ideal if you enjoy course work and is particularly attractive to those who prefer modular based learning, outdoor activities and fitness.
Students will be assessed through a combination of practical work, presentations, practical observations, a portfolio of assignments, case studies and tests.
There is every chance for success on these courses, which are delivered by talented and committed staff.
Four GCSEs at grades 9-4/A*-C; or
A related Level 2 vocational course at Merit or higher (if a pass grade is achieved GCSE grades and/or functional skills results may also be considered); and
A GCSE at grade 9-4/A*-C (or equivalent) in English or Mathematics; or
English and Mathematics assessed at Level 1 or above by College assessment.
Mature applicants may be considered on relevant experience without having the required entry requirements. However, an interview will always be required.
A satisfactory reference may also be requested.
How To Apply
Use the below link to apply for the above course.