Course Info16 - 19
Travel & Tourism
Mode of study:
Are you interested in marketing in travel and tourism? Ever wondered what happens in the business operations within the travel industry? Or, do you want to work for a major airline or travel company?
The Level 3 National Extended Diploma prepares students for an exciting and growing industry where marketing, business operations and customer service skills are integral. You will study seven mandatory units and six optional units chosen to give you a specialised insight into the industry, mandatory units include:
- The World of Travel and Tourism
- Global Destination
- Managing the Customer Experience
- Travel and Tourism Enterprise
- Researching Current Issues in the Travel Industry
- The UK as Tourist Destination
- Business Operations in the Travel Industry
The course is split into 70% internal assessment through essays, portfolios, presentations and practical assessment and 40% through externally sat examinations of 2.5 hours and controlled assessments of up-to 8 hours.
- We expect students to dress professionally within the uniform guidelines, to encourage those good employability habits and get you noticed when we have trips and visits·
- You get to use a our Travel Shop, a room exclusively used to support practical assessments and develop your customer services skills
- Trips to the World Travel Market, Gatwick Airport, Guest Speakers working to develop key skills in business, marketing and customer experience
- You will have the opportunity to engage in specially arranged Employability Weeks at the College to help you prepare for your future career and how to get that perfect job. Over 140 employers came into College for the most recent Employability Week to provide mock interviews and a variety of talks. Interserve, Gatwick Airport, Crystal Palace, Marks & Spencer and John Lewis were among the employers attending.
- You will have access to a wide and rich range of complementary opportunities to enhance your career options while at Croydon College. As well as regular CV, career development and UCAS support sessions from the lecturers and the College Employability Hub, you will also engage in mock interviews and will be encouraged to gain employment experience.
- You will be given the chance to attend visits from Universities, visits to University Conventions and University Open Days so you can explore all your options and the College has its own University Centre too, so you’ll also have the opportunity to engage with University Centre students, some of whom provide mentoring.
- All the staff who teach you engage in commercial upskilling every year with external companies which keeps their skills up to date and ensures their teaching is current. Lecturers currently delivering the programme have themselves worked within the travel industry and can give you first-hand knowledge of the roles.
The College also has a large student common room with pool tables, electronic games consoles and plenty of space to socialise in between classes.
Career Opportunities & Further Study
This course is the equivalent to 3 A Levels and students can take this course into higher education to study:
- BA (Hons) Events Management
- BA (Hons) Travel and Tourism
- BSc Hospitality and Tourism
- BA (Hons) International Tourism Management with Air
- BA (Hons) Business with Tourism
In the past students have gone to study at Edge-Hill Hospitality School and others have gone onto become successfully employed as cabin crew for various airlines.
For students seeking immediate employment they are able to progress onto:
- Travel Agency
- Cabin Crew (on completion of the Cabin Crew qualification offered if there is demand)
- Tour Guide Companies
- Events and hospitality
- Hotel Management
- Holiday Representative
- Marketing Executive
- Outdoor Activities Manager
- Practical assessments such as role-play, professional discussions
- Research reports, essays and portfolios of work
- Two 2.5 hour examinations
- Two 8 hour controlled assessments
- Students will be expected to undertake a one-day per week work experience placement to support their studies in a relevant travel-based industry
Our teachers are industry experts and so you have a better chance at passing your units with high-grades as they impart their professional knowledge and experience and support you through the assessment process with regular progress reviews, homework and challenging tasks.
Four GCSEs at grades 9-4/A*-C; or
A related Level 2 vocational course at Merit or higher (if a pass grade is achieved GCSE grades and/or functional skills results may also be considered); and
A GCSE at grade 9-4/A*-C (or equivalent) in English or Mathematics; or
English and Mathematics assessed at Level 1 or above by College assessment.
Mature applicants may be considered on relevant experience without having the required entry requirements. However, an interview will always be required.
A satisfactory reference may also be requested.
How To Apply
Use the below link to apply for the above course.