Mode of study:
Access to Nursing and Health Science – (Health and Human Sciences)
Access to HE Diplomas are well established, national qualifications which allow students, without traditional Level 3 qualifications, to apply for degree courses and enter university.
If you want to study Nursing at university then the Access to HE Diploma in Health and Human Sciences may also be suitable. At Croydon College we offer a nursing or midwifery pathway with this Diploma, where you will take the units required to meet the entry requirements for a Nursing degree. This Diploma is suitable for those who have been out of full-time education for some time and aiming to join university or higher education courses. This qualification requires a maturity of approach and a high level of commitment. In addition, applicants need a successful interview and screening and must have sufficient time to devote to their studies.
This is a qualification designed for:
- Adults with an interest in Nursing, Radiography, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dietetics and Nutrition, Biomedical Sciences, Midwifery, Sports Science, Speech and Language Therapy, Psychology and Osteopathy
- Adults seeking a change of direction because of unemployment or lack of career opportunities in their previous field and who have a demonstrable interest in entering Nursing, Radiography, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dietetics and Nutrition, Biomedical Sciences, Midwifery and other related profession.
Access to University is an intensive study programme; you must be completely committed to hard work and are required to maintain full attendance (100%) throughout the course.
Good English and Maths skills are essential for success in studying and for future employment prospects therefore, Croydon College ensures that these skills are developed in all learning opportunities.
This programme is very popular so please complete your application early.
The staff on the programme are professionally qualified with a wide experience of the medical field and are both friendly and approachable. You will benefit from having a tutor who can provide not only academic support, but also pastoral advice and guidance when needed. One-to-one appointments with your tutor are a regular part of the course where there is opportunity to discuss your progress.
A key distinguishing feature of the College is our links with employers and the ways in which we incorporate this into learning. We offer fantastic extra-curricular activities such as Macmillan fund raising and Walking for health at Macmillan Resource Centre at Croydon University Hospital and many more volunteering opportunities to support your Personal Statement and CV. Other highlights include:
- Getting involved in HIV awareness days. Check out our HIV awareness days to see how you can support national observances to raise awareness and encourage people to get tested for HIV.
- The course will help you to develop the essential academic skills of critical thinking, evaluation and analysis. All of which will prepare you for independent study at university.
Career Opportunities & Further Study
Learners primarily progress to Higher Education study in areas related to Health and Human Sciences. There are excellent progression routes to universities especially Roehampton University, London Southbank and Kingston and many more. These courses may include some of the following areas of Degree level study: Nursing, Radiography, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dietetics and Nutrition, Biomedical Sciences, Midwifery, Sports Science, Speech and Language Therapy, Psychology and Osteopathy.
In addition, internal progression to Foundation Degree in Public Health and Social care degree at the Croydon’s University Centre, progressing towards their career goals in friendly and familiar surroundings.
The core subjects for Access to Higher Education Diploma – Nursing are study skills, human biology, nursing studies, sociology and psychology. Tutorial support is also embedded into the programme.
Class tutors will use a variety of assessment methods: formal reports, presentations, written assessments, in-class and practice assessments under controlled conditions, exams, case studies and reflective statements.
The Access to Nursing and Health Science course is delivered over two days.
All applicants will be required to take an English and Mathematics paper-based assessment, regardless of previous qualifications. You must achieve a Level 2 in English and at least a Level 1 in Mathematics to be accepted on this course.
- You will need to sit an assessment and depending on your results, you could study at least one Level 2 Functional Skill course alongside Access. This option is intensive, so you’ll need to be committed to studying the extra hours.
Universities are increasingly asking for GCSEs or Functional Skills as part of their entry criteria and there may be opportunities for adult students to study English and Maths as part of your programme, and the level and type of qualification will be selected to suit individual needs.
All applicants will be interviewed to ensure that the course is the right choice based on previous educational and work experience. Every student will need to provide at least one satisfactory reference to support their application.
Please note that it is the responsibility of the student to ensure their current and future qualifications comply with the entry requirements of any university to which they intend to progress.
You need to have evidence that you meet general discretionary Learner Support Funds or 19+ Advanced Learning Loan bursary fund criteria.
- Click here to check if you’re eligible before you apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.
- Apply for the Advanced Learner Loan – click here
- Contact Student Finance – Click here
Repaying your loan:
Access to Higher Education (HE) course: Student Finance England will ‘write off’ any outstanding Advanced Learner Loan balances you owe for an Access to HE course once you complete a higher education course. This means you do not have to repay it.
There may be financial support to help with childcare. Please check with Student Services.
How To Apply
Use the below link to apply for the above course.