Mode of study:
This qualification is part of a programme of courses designed to enable you to develop your knowledge & skills and to work towards progressing to Access Level 3.
The Access to University – Level 2 Nursing and Public Health course consists of two qualifications:
- OCN London – Level 2 Certificate in Skills for Progression in Health and Social Care, and
- Functional Skills English and numeracy at Level 2.
You will cover the following units:
- Functional Skills Level 2 English
- Functional Skills Level 2 Maths
- Health and Social Care units including:Communication in Health and Social CareProtection and Safeguarding in Health and Social CareSolving Work-Related Problems
Approaches to Mental Health
Working in Health and Social Care
Duty of Care in Health and Social Care
Ethical Issues in Health Care
Equality and Inclusion in Health, Social Care or Children’s and Young People’s Settings
- IT and Career Development including:Career Planning – all learners have the opportunity to attend a careers advisor workshopPractical Presentation SkillsApplying for a Job & Interview Skills
IT Communication Fundamentals in the Workplace
Access to University is an intensive study programme, you must be completely committed to hard work and are required to maintain full attendance throughout the course.
Good English and maths skills are essential for success in studying and for future employment prospects and so Croydon College ensures that these skills are developed in all learning opportunities.
This course is part time, comprising 2 full days a week in college. Tutorial support is embedded into the programme.
Within this Level 2 course there are a number of opportunities to go on trips and to participate in working with guest speakers and running mini projects. These have been a successful element of the course for over 5 years and continue to be an outstanding element of the student experience.
Previous opportunities have included:
- Mini projects with the Safer Croydon Partnership Unit, London Borough of Croydon & the Metropolitan police– ‘Hate Crime, Drugs & Alcohol and Anti-terrorism’.
- Employability training workshops with the Ministry of Defence Education Outreach Programme. At least six successful Access level 2 students will be invited to attend the MOD awards celebration in Whitehall in June.
- Fundraising for Macmillan Cancer Support and Operation Christmas Child.
- All learners will receive Heart Start training and achieved a UNICEF Certificate.
You will also have the chance to take part in other activities such as:
- Getting involved with Croydon Food-bank – your support helps stop local people going hungry.
- Macmillan Health Walk – each week we get together with cancer patients, their families & carers and hospital staff to go for a walk.
- Peer Mentors are learners trained and supported to work with another young person (mentee) on a one to one basis to provide any or all of the following: active listening and understanding that is non-judgemental; friendship and support; help with identifying and setting negotiated individual goals; keep accurate records of meetings.
- Sports and Health Recreational Activities.
The staff who will be teaching you are professionally qualified with a wide experience of the science and technology fields and are friendly and approachable. You will benefit from having a tutor who can provide not only academic support, but also pastoral advice and guidance when needed.
One-to-one appointments with your tutor are a regular part of the course where there is opportunity to discuss your progress.
Career Opportunities & Further Study
Learners can chose to progress onto a Level 3 Access to University course upon successful completion of both elements of this course.
You will be assessed throughout this course using a variety of assessment methods including assignments, role plays, case studies, presentations, leaflets, and projects. You will produce both individual and group work.
Your English and maths will be formally assessed at the end of the academic year.
All applicants will be required to take an English and Mathematics assessment, regardless of previous qualifications. You must achieve a Level 1 in English and a Entry 3 in Mathematics to be accepted on this course.
How To Apply
Use the below link to apply for the above course.